Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Newborn session tips~ Wyoming newborn photographer


I’ve put this article together based off of my experiences as a mother and photographer, and lessons I’ve learned from past newborn sessions. I will continue to update it to offer help to those that seek a little guidance in preparing for your newborns picture day.

The best time for newborns to be photographed is between before they are 14 days old.  I say 5 days to allow you to get what rest you can, and get settled in with your new baby. Anytime after that they don't have the new born feel any more.

When we meet on the phone or in person before the baby is born we will discuss things mentioned in this article and whether or not you have any special ideas in mind.

I recommend having hats or outfits picked out that you would like to have your baby pictured in, or we can choose from my collection of props.  All of my hats and diaper covers are hand made, and included are some themed hats. I have cheese cloth wraps that are nice to use as cover ups, and additional props.  I love prop shopping so I’m always adding to my collection!

If I shoot in your home, we will discuss some ideas before hand so I can bring the proper equipment and props. Sometimes we will have to do it in my studio depending on the backdrops and props needed.  I will sometimes use the babies nursery to photograph in, or other items in your home such as a special basket, nicely painted wall, or any other awesome items I find to personalize your pictures.

Weather permitting we can shoot outdoors. These make for some great images.

The most important thing I can suggest for a successful shoot is to keep the baby awake a few hours before the session, this way he/she will sleep during posing and we can get those special pictures.  When a newborn is awake they move all over, so it’s hard to capture the perfect look or keep a pose.

Heat is a must! I recommend making the room we will be in most the warmest so that the baby will be comfortable in between changes.  If you have a space heater we can use that too.

White noise – We will need to have a TV on or music playing to create white noise for the baby to stay sleeping.  They will wake up from the sound of the camera click!

Accidents during your session is expected and it’s OK. Bring extra clothes for you and the baby.  The last thing I want is for you to be upset because your baby peed on a blanket, prop or ME.  Sometimes we photograph babies naked and that’s just what happens, or they decide to go to the bathroom while we are changing outfits or passing them around.  Also, make sure to have formula with you or be prepared to have to breast feed during the session at some point. Sometimes they get hungry if they wake up throughout the session and the goal is to sooth them and let them fall back to sleep if we haven’t gotten all of our photos done.

The reason we schedule your session for at least 3 hours is to accommodate not only my set-up/tear down time but to allow time for you to feed and change your baby throughout the session.  Modeling is hard work sometimes, so breaks are needed to keep the baby from getting upset.  Some babies sleep right through everything and some are a little more sensitive.  Every baby is different so its important to allow for breaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment